South Asheville News

South Asheville News

Thursday, April 2, 2020

North Carolina DOT resumes projects after hurricanes

Local Government

By Nick Koutsobinas | Feb 21, 2020

Roadworkahead 1000x667

After $300 million in repairs and cleanup following Hurricane Florence in 2018, the North Carolina Department of Transportation has secured $200 million in funding from the state Legislature to continue work on road and bridge projects stalled since last fall. 

The Engineering News-Record reports the decision came after NCDOT had put a halt on nearly 900 state-funded projects before Hurricane Dorian hit last year.

Since the procurement of new funds budgeted by the Legislature in November, 200 projects are now underway with approximately 200 more on the way in the next four months.

"We want to keep projects in our five-year plan as close to schedule as possible," Greer Beatty, deputy secretary of transportation, told the Engineering News-Record.

Beatty said NCDOT has put away an emergency fund and is building a strategy for the future.

“It’s very challenging to plan for the unforeseeable, but we’re doing what we can to make ourselves ready,” he told the Engineering News-Record.

Want to get notified whenever we write about North Carolina Department of Transportation ?

Sign-up Next time we write about North Carolina Department of Transportation, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

North Carolina Department of Transportation

More News